Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Change in the Wind


I recently made one of the hardest decisions of my life. That decision was to not go back to Guatemala this next year. I did not take this decision lightly, and it was not with out hours of counsel from friends, family, and most importantly God. I had many sleepless nights. I cried out to the Lord for months about this decision, even before coming home.  I was so afraid of what people would think or say, that I was paralyzed for a while, to make a decision.  But, after much time, it was only 3 days ago, that I finally heard His still small voice with compassion, and love. He flooded my heart, and room with peace, as I felt a renewed call to my family here in St. Louis. I felt a call to love them, rightly...not as a backseat to "my ministry", or "my church friends"...but to put them before those other things. 

    Yesterday, I sent a letter to my financial supporters to let them know the upcoming changes. Here is an excerpt from that letter. Please read:


It has been a wonderful year! So much has been accomplished. Hundreds of diabetics, people with hypertension, pregnant moms, and malnourished children have passed through our clinic, and have been helped. The widows of a local village, now have a group to gather, and make baskets to sell. We have counseled many situations, and have prayed for healing for many others. We have even seen many come to Christ! What a beautiful thing!
When, I went to Guatemala last year, I went out on an indefinite Journey. I didn’t know if it would be a year, or forever. I told the Fickers, “I will be here for at least a year”. I said that because that is all that the Lord would allow me to see. I knew for sure at least a year.
   I had a prophecy years ago, when I rededicated my life to Christ. This prophecy came at a time that I had never thought about missions. In the prophecy, I was told that they saw me going back and forth from a country.  At the time I had no idea what they were talking about. But now, I am beginning to understand what that looks like.
I say that, so that you will understand the new season I am entering. I am definitely connected to Guatemala in many ways. But it has been confirmed through prayer, dreams, and in my heart, that I will be taking a break from living there.  
I believe that God has a unique calling for each one of us. My unique calling will not look like someone else’s calling. Some missionaries stay forever, others go back and forth, others do short term, and others fund the mission!
I will leave you with this quote:
Mother Theresa was asked how to best promote world peace. Her answer was, "Go home and love your family."
This is the direction I am hearing from the Lord at this time, and I know my ‘family’ of friends, relations, brothers and sisters in Christ, will support and love me in return. I love you all.
For any questions or concerns please contact me at Rachael.needham@gmail.com

With Love,
Rachael Needham

No comments:

Post a Comment